Assistant Community Center Monitor (Part-Time)
Supervised By: Parks and Recreation Director
Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
Under the supervision of the Parks and Recreation Director, provides recreational activities and support for the public in a safe, secure environment at the community center. Responds to public inquiries regarding the department’s offerings and to parental concerns about their children. Monitors the safety of minors involved in departmental recreational activities. Performs daily maintenance and cleaning of the community center and ensures that all machinery and facilities work properly.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Supervises minors by providing a safe environment, enforcing rules and maintaining good relations with participants.
- Acts as a positive role model, maintains order and ensures proper interaction among students and between younger and older children.
- Keeps all areas of the community center neat and clean.
- Works with minors and their parents to motivate the minors to behave responsibly and establish mutual respect among community center users.
- Responds to emergencies, administers first aid when necessary and prepares an incident report of emergencies and their resolution.
- Keeps the environment fun and free from drugs and violence and works with law enforcement to resolve problems.
- Sets up and takes down community center equipment such as gymnastics equipment, volleyball equipment, electronic scoreboards, tennis courts and indoor and outdoor basketball backboards and nets. Ensures that all equipment, electronic and otherwise, is functioning properly and is maintained and kept in good working condition.
- Ensures that access to the center is uninhibited and safe for all persons, including the physically challenged. Ensures the facility is secured on a daily basis.
- Cleans the interior and exterior of the center including cleaning and stocking toilets, sweeping and mopping floors, maintaining the gym floor, cleaning windows and ledges, vacuuming carpets, shoveling snow and spreading salt when required by weather conditions.
- Works with the public in person and by telephone to arrange for the reservation of the center, take reservations for the county park, inform the public about department policies and procedures and interface with parents and their children.
- Informs the public about department activities and offerings and establishes and publicizes schedules and programs.
- Promotes a positive image of the community center in an effort to make the center and all other parks facilities attractive to the public.
- Receives money for fees, writes receipts, assists with record books and ensures the security of money received.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience in a children’s facility, recreation program or customer service position requiring manual input.
- The county, at its discretion, may consider an alternative combination of formal education and work experience.
- First Aid and CPR certification required after hire.
- Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Some knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation planning and programming.
- Knowledge of the rules, supplies, equipment and facilities applied or utilized in recreation programs.
- Knowledge of the safety issues and precautions relating to the provision of recreation programs.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with county employees, contractors to the county, representatives of other governmental units, professional contacts, elected officials, and the public.
- Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including some Microsoft Suite applications, database use and the ability to learn new software programs applicable to the position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to communicate by telephone, read regular and small print, use limited mobility in an office setting, and view and prepare documents and reports. The employee must be mobile in an office and community center setting, stand, sit, stoop, walk and kneel, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift or push/pull objects of up to 25 lbs. without assistance while performing maintenance tasks. Accommodation will be made, as needed, for employees required to lift or move objects that exceed this weight.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors with some outdoor work required. The noise level in the work environment varies from quiet to loud.
For purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act, this is a “non-exempt” position. This position is classified as non-union.
This position is eligible for some pro-rated County fringe benefits.
Hours: 20 hours per week
2019 Pay Rate: $12.35 per hour