Seasonal Trail Ranger / Maintenance - Groen Nature Preserve
Supervised By: Groen Maintenance Manager
Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
Under the supervision of the Groen Maintenance Manager, performs a variety of service and maintenance tasks necessary for safe, effective and proper operation of the Groen Nature Preserve grounds and facilities. Responsible for customer service, general upkeep and maintenance tasks.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Performs general trail and property upkeep and maintenance duties which include cleaning and maintenance of nature preserve grounds, trails, and buildings, refuse removal, mowing grounds and grooming ski trails.
- Performs maintenance and repair of park equipment and vehicles and keeps related records.
- Performs minor building repairs and upkeep tasks such as painting.
- Interacts with the public, providing information on park amenities and features, and rules and regulations.
- Enforces preserve ordinances and rules in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Patrols nature preserve throughout the day on foot and by vehicle.
- Performs special event set up, tear down and general maintenance.
- Inventories supplies and equipment and notifies the Groen Maintenance Manager of any related needs.
- Operates motorized equipment, attaches and transport trailers and loads and unloads materials, supplies, debris and equipment.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent and one year of progressively more responsible experience as a park ranger or in park maintenance.
- The county, at its discretion, may consider an alternative combination of formal education and work experience.
- Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Working knowledge of the equipment, methods, procedures, and tasks involved in park maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of the practices, methods, and equipment utilized in grounds, park maintenance, and development, including the planting, cultivation, pruning and care of lawns, flowers, shrubs, plants, and trees.
- Knowledge of the practices and safety issues involved in maintaining public lands and facilities.
- Considerable knowledge and skill in the use of a variety of power and hand tools used for the repair and maintenance of park buildings and property.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with county employees, contractors to the county, representatives of other governmental units, professional contacts, elected officials, and the public.
- Skill in the use of office equipment and technology and the ability to learn new software programs applicable to the position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, climb, use hands and fingers, talk, hear, and view and create written documents. The employee uses hand strength to grasp tools and may climbs ladders or uneven terrain. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, such as to operate and repair vibrating machinery, use wrenches, hand tools, etc., and operate motorized equipment and vehicles. The employee must lift or push/pull objects of up to 50 lbs. without assistance. Accommodation will be made, as needed, for employees required to lift or move objects that exceed this weight.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outdoor weather conditions. The employee works near moving mechanical equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can frequently be loud.
Job Posting Information:
- This is a seasonal non-union position and is eligible for some fringe benefits.
- 2019 Salary: $11.25 per hour
- Hours: variable hours.
- For purposes of FLSA, this is a non-exempt position.
- Must be available to work varying shifts, holidays, and weekends.