Seasonal Park Ranger
Summary: Responsible for customer service and general upkeep and maintenance of Otsego County Park and facilities.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Director of Parks and Recreation and/or Otsego County Parks and Recreation Coordinator.
Responsibilities, Essential Duties and Functions: An employee in this position may be called upon to perform any or all of the following essential duties. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform.
- Daily customer service responsibilities interacting with county park patrons.
- Addresses complaints from county park patrons.
- Collection of daily use fees.
- General park and facility maintenance duties which may include cleaning and maintenance of park grounds and buildings, refuse removal, mowing park grounds and painting as required.
- Performs minor equipment and building repairs.
- Special event set up.
- Patrols county park throughout day.
- May perform tasks at other Otsego County Parks and Recreation facilities such as refuse removal, mowing, and upkeep as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
Essential Functions, Qualifications and KSAs (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities) for Employment. All of the following functions, qualification, KSAs and duties are essential. An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Drivers License.
- Ability to use a variety of hand tools to perform minor repairs.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Able to read and follow instructions and equipment manufacturer’s manuals.
- Works in a variety of weather conditions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Standing and walking for extended periods of time; bending at the waist; pushing and pulling maintenance supplies and equipment; lifting and moving heavy objects; climbing ladders; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; climbing ladders; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate hand and power tools. *Steel toed boots required.
High School Diploma or equivalency and 1+ years of related park ranger and maintenance experience. Related college coursework towards a degree in Recreation Management may be substituted for work experience requirement.
Seasonal Temporary position: Up to 40 hours per week
- Must be available to work varying shifts, holidays, and weekends throughout the summer (May – August 2019).
- Salary: $10.00 per hour.
- For purposes of FLSA, this is a non-exempt position.
- Position is not eligible for Otsego County Fringe Benefits.