Seasonal Park Ranger
Supervised By: Parks and Recreation Director and Parks and Recreation Coordinator
Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
Under the supervision of the Parks and Recreation Director and Parks and Recreation Coordinator, provides customer service, general upkeep and maintenance of the Otsego County Park and facilities. Responds to public inquiries regarding County Park programs and offerings. Performs daily maintenance and cleaning of the County Park and ensures that all machinery and facilities work properly.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Daily customer service responsibilities interacting with county park patrons.
- Addresses complaints from county park patrons.
- Reserve campsites, perform camper check-in and check-out activities and collect daily use fees using computerized park system.
- General park and facility maintenance duties which may include cleaning and maintenance of park grounds and buildings, refuse removal, mowing park grounds and painting as required.
- Performs minor equipment and building repairs.
- Special event set up.
- Patrols County Park throughout day.
- May perform tasks at other Otsego County Parks and Recreation facilities such as refuse removal, mowing, and upkeep as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalency and 1+ year of related park ranger and maintenance experience. Related college coursework towards a degree in Recreation Management may be substituted for work experience requirement.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Driver’s License.
- Ability to use a variety of hand tools to perform minor repairs.
- Basic computer skills for email, online training and operation of computerized park reservations system.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Able to read and follow instructions and equipment manufacturer’s manuals.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, climb, use hands and fingers, talk, hear, and view and create written documents. The employee uses hand strength to grasp tools and may climb ladders or uneven terrain. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, such as to operate and repair vibrating machinery, use wrenches, hand tools, etc., and operate motorized equipment and vehicles. The employee must lift or push/pull objects of up to 50 lbs. without assistance. Accommodation will be made, as needed, for employees required to lift or move objects that exceed this weight.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outdoor weather conditions. The employee may work near moving mechanical equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can frequently be loud. *Steel toed boots required.
Job Posting Information:
This is a seasonal temporary position working up to 40 hours per week. Position is not eligible for Otsego County fringe benefits.
Must be available to work varying shifts, holidays, and weekends throughout the summer season (May-August 2021).
Pay Rate: $11.00 per hour.
For purposes of FLSA, this is a non-exempt position.
Otsego County is an Equal Opportunity Employer