MSU Clerk (Part-time)
Supervised By: MSU Extension Director
Supervises: No supervisory responsibility
Under the general supervision of the MSU Extension Director, provides clerical, bookkeeping and customer service in the MSU Extension Office. Coordinates communications for 4-H clubs, volunteers and youth members. Maintains volunteer management records and related reports. Completes general requests by greeting customers in person, through e-mails and the telephone; answering queries and/or referring to the appropriate party.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Provides counter assistance to office visitors and responds to telephone calls from the general public, providing information related to designated extension programs and services. Takes soil samples, distributes materials and researches questions presented.
- Performs general office work to include word processing, report preparation, filing, managing e-mail correspondence, answering incoming calls, copying documents, and assisting walk-in customers.
- Collects fees for service and writes receipts. Counts drawer and prepares deposit.
- Maintains bookkeeping ledgers, manages accounts receivable and payable, and produces summary reports of a financial nature.
- Maintains the databases for all for all 4-H members, volunteers, clubs, events, and reports required by Michigan State University.
- Researches and provides timely answers to clients about diverse subject matter areas of MSU Extension work groups and logic models.
- Assists with logistics related to MSU Extension programs such as assisting with registering clients for programs, developing program/event registration lists, and preparing program presentation materials.
- Maintains and updates mailing lists for a variety of activities.
- Assists with the design and print of large quantities of teaching hand-out materials and registration brochures.
- Updates information on the website on a consistent basis.
- Sorts and opens incoming mail and distributes to staff or determines how to process correspondence.
- Maintains inventory of office equipment.
- Maintains schedule of meeting and conference rooms.
- Perform related duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience in providing clerical and administrative support.
- The county, at its discretion, may consider an alternative combination of formal education and work experience.
- Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of administrative support, office procedures, and records management.
- Knowledge and skill in maintaining accurate electronic records and providing customer service.
- Skill in assembling and analyzing data, and preparing comprehensive and accurate reports.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with county employees, contractors to the county, representatives of other governmental units, professional contacts, elected officials, and the public.
- Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including Microsoft Suite applications, database use and the ability to learn new software programs applicable to the position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person and by telephone, read regular and small print, view and produce written and electronic documents, and enter data on a computer keyboard with repetitive keystrokes. The employee must be mobile in an office setting, stand, sit, stoop and kneel, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift or push/pull objects of up to 15 lbs. without assistance. Accommodation will be made, as needed, for office employees required to lift or move objects that exceed this weight.
The typical work environment of this job is a business office setting where the noise level is quiet and sometimes moderate.
This is a part-time non-union position and is eligible for some pro-rated fringe benefits.
Schedule: 24 hours per week – Monday – Thursday
2021 Starting Salary (Pay Grade 4): $14.99 per hour
For purposes of FLSA, this is a non-exempt position.
Otsego County is an Equal Opportunity Employer