2016 Delinquent Tax Property Foreclosure Timeline
March 1, 2017
2016 taxes are turned over delinquent to the Otsego County Treasurer
By June 1, 2017
Taxpayer is notified of delinquency via 1st class mail
By September 1, 2017
Taxpayer receives 2nd notice of delinquency via 1st class mail
On October 1, 2017
Additional $15.00 fee added to each delinquent parcel
On November 1, 2017
List is compiled of properties subject to forfeiture on March 1, 2018
On March 1, 2018
$175.00 title search fee and $60.00 recording fees are added to parcel and property is forfeited to the Otsego County Treasurer. Interest rate on unpaid balance increases to 1.5% per month retroactive to March 1, 2017
Between March 1, 2018 and January 31, 2019
1. Title searches conducted to identify parties with legal interest in the property.
2. Petition seeking foreclosure of forfeited property filed with Circuit Court.
3. Personal visit to forfeited property with personal service or posting of notice.
4. Administrative Show Cause Hearing held.
5. 4th notice of delinquency and imminent foreclosure made via certified mail.
Show Casuse/Foreclosure Hearing
Between January 1, 2019 and March 31, 2019
Show Cause and Final/Circuit Court hearings for foreclosure judgment will be held during this time period. Property owner (or certain other parties with a legal interest in the property) has until March 31, 2018 to redeem the property by paying all taxes, interest, penalties, and fees on uncontested cases.
On April 1st after Foreclosure Judgment
Title to property is forfeited permanently to the Otsego County Treasurer
Between July 2019 and November 2019
Foreclosed property offered for purchase at public auction to the highest bidder Visit tax-sale.info for more information regarding Public Land Auction