2017 Delinquent Tax Property Foreclosure Timeline
March 1, 2018
2017 taxes are turned over delinquent to the Otsego County Treasurer
By June 1, 2018
Taxpayer is notified of delinquency via 1st class mail
By September 1, 2018
Taxpayer receives 2nd notice of delinquency via 1st class mail
On October 1, 2018
Additional $15.00 fee added to each delinquent parcel
On November 1, 2018
List is compiled of properties subject to forfeiture on March 1, 2019
On March 1, 2019
$175.00 title search fee and $60.00 recording fees are added to parcel and property is forfeited to the Otsego County Treasurer. Interest rate on unpaid balance increases to 1.5% per month retroactive to March 1, 2018
Between March 1, 2019 and January 31, 2020
1. Title searches conducted to identify parties with legal interest in the property.
2. Petition seeking foreclosure of forfeited property filed with Circuit Court.
3. Personal visit to forfeited property with personal service or posting of notice.
4. Administrative Show Cause Hearing held.
5. 4th notice of delinquency and imminent foreclosure made via certified mail.
Show Cause/Foreclosure Hearing
Between January 1, 2020 and March 31, 2020
Show Cause and Final/Circuit Court hearings for foreclosure judgment will be held during this time period. Property owner (or certain other parties with a legal interest in the property) has until March 31, 2020 to redeem the property by paying all taxes, interest, penalties, and fees on uncontested cases.
On April 1st after Foreclosure Judgment
Title to property is forfeited permanently to the Otsego County Treasurer
Between July 2020 and November 2020
Foreclosed property offered for purchase at public auction to the highest bidder Visit tax-sale.info for more information regarding Public Land Auction