Probate Court General Information
What matters does the Probate Court handle?
- Processes estates in Otsego County with or without a will, (including small estates that sometimes can be handled in a single day).
- Appoints guardians and conservators of minors and adults who are not able to manage their own affairs.
- Issues name change orders for minors and adults.
- Settles disputes concerning trusts.
- Performs secret marriages.
- Commits a mentally ill person to a mental heath facility.
- Order treatment for people with contagious diseases who refuse treatment.
- Emancipation minors.
- Bypasses parental consent for minors seeking abortions.
How are these items processed by the Court?
You must fill out forms to start the probate process. These forms are available at the court, or online at https://www.courts.mi.gov.