MBE Certification is the process by which a business is verified as being minority owned according to the criteria set forth by the National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC). The NMSDC’s criteria state that in order to be certified as a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), a business must be at least 51% controlled and managed by racial or ethnic minorities who are also U.S. Citizens.​ Small businesses seeking minority business certification should contact the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council. The Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council (MMSDC) is a non-profit organization committed to driving the economic growth of minority-owned businesses. The MMSDC is located at 100 River Place, Suite 300, Detroit, MI 48207. Phone: (313) 873-3200. 

Minority certification is also available through the Detroit Department of Transportation, 1301 E. Warren, Detroit, MI 48207. Phone:  (313) 833-7695 or Wayne County, 500 Griswold, 15th Floor, Detroit, MI 48226. Phone: (313) 224-502

The Women’s Business Enterprise Council – Great Lakes (WBEC – GL) serves as a partner with the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) to assist women business owners with opportunities for women’s business certification and access to private and government markets.

For information on becoming a certified woman owned business, contact the The Michigan Women’s Marketplace​, or see the attached link for women’s business resources in Michigan.


Lisa McComb, Executive Director of the Otsego County Economic Alliance can assist businesses with registration and LLC information. Contact Lisa at (989)731-0288 or her assistant Brandy at (989)731-0287.

Contact the community where the business will be located and see if the zoning laws permit it. Starting a business at home is the same as starting a business anywhere.​ For questions regarding starting a business at home in Otsego County, contact the Planning & Zoning office at (989) 731-7400 or visit their website at https://www.otsegocountymi.gov/county-government-2/land-use-services/planning-zoning/

A “Doing Business As” or DBA, protects one’s business name within County limits. A DBA can be purchased at the County Clerk’s office for $10.00.

County Clerk

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (TIN), and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. You may apply for an EIN in various ways, including online at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online.

Zoning information comes from the city, village or township where your business is located.​ You can find zoning information for Otsego County by contacting the Planning & Zoning office at (989) 731-7400 or visiting their website at https://www.otsegocountymi.gov/county-government-2/land-use-services/planning-zoning/

You can register easily online at https://www.michigan.gov/uia/0%2c1607%2c7-118–89978–%2c00.html

You may receive your Sales Tax License in as little as seven business days.

319 W Main St, Gaylord, MI 49735

Local Weather
Snow Shower
Feels like: 34°F
Wind: 3mph NNW
Humidity: 84%
Pressure: 30"Hg
UV index: 0