Change of Domicile

A court order awarding custody must provide that the domicile or residence of the child(ren) may not be moved from Michigan without the approval of the Judge. If the custodial parent wants to move with the child(ren) from the State of Michigan, he or she must file a petition for a change of domicile.

If you share joint legal custody of your child(ren) you also need to petition the court if you wish to move over 100 miles from the child(ren)'s residence at the time your court order was entered. This provision does not apply if, at the time of the commencement of your court action in which custody was ordered, you and the other parent already lived more than 100 miles apart. This order also does not apply if the residence change results in the two parents' residences being closer to each other than before the change.

Learn about moving if you have sole custody of your child(ren).