- Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201(a)(e)
- No discrepancy in the names shall exist between the printed names of such person, as appears either in the body of the instrument, the signature, the acknowledgment or jurat. MCLA 565.201(b)
- Instruments conveying or mortgaging any interest in real estate shall state the marital status of any male grantors. MCLA 565.221
- The addresses of all parties must appear on any instrument by which title to any interest therein is conveyed, assigned, encumbered or otherwise disposed of. MCLA 565.201(a)(f)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201a.
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in the State of Michigan before March 4, 2002, must contain two (2) witness signatures and an acknowledgement by a notary public. After March 4, 2002, documents executed in Michigan need only contain an acknowledgment by a notary public. MCLA 565.8
- Survivor deed or survivor mortgage shall be accompanied by a certified copy of the death certificate, or shall show by Liber and Page reference that the death certificate has been recorded in the Register of Deeds office. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court to be eligible for recording, unless otherwise ordered by the court. MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- Documents executed in the State of Michigan after April 1, 1997, must have a 2 1/2 inch top margin and all other margins are 1/2 inch. Exemptions to this include certified documents, surveys and land corners.
- THE DEFINITION OF A PAGE: One side of a single sheet of paper not larger than 8.5" x 14" with print not smaller than 10 point type, which shall be legible and on paper of not less than 20 (17 x 22-500) pound weight. MCLA 565.201(g)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(ii); 565.201 Sec. 3.
- Blanket assignments are accepted. Blanket releases are accepted.
- Assignment and Discharge Fees: For any document which assigns or discharges more than one instrument:$3.00 shall be added to the recording fee for each additional instrument so assigned or discharged.
- Please be advised that the Register of Deeds requires a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope for the return of all recorded documents.
- Documents that do not meet the requirements, including documents with more than one title, will be rejected.
- Common document errors include incorrect fee, missing individual drafter name, names not typed beneath signatures, marital status of male grantor/ mortgagor not disclosed, and notarial certificate incomplete.