General Summary: Under the supervision of the Sheriff, performs all necessary service of Civil Process, Subpoenas, Writ of Executions and perform Court Security for Otsego County Courts.
- Records and serves all incoming Civil Process.
- Reviews documents daily for timely service and determines daily route to travel efficiently; ensures statutory requirements of service of process are adhered to; contacts individuals to advise of service and determine best time and locations.
- Maintains proper reports/records relating to service of process.
- Handles billings for all Civil Process.
- Provides all court security for Otsego County Courts.
- Has considerable knowledge of courtroom procedures and operations and knowledge of local, state, and federal laws.
- Handles stressful situations including disagreements or disturbances in the court room.
- Reads and interprets reports, posters, policies, manuals, releases, court orders, and ID cards.
- Operates metal detector as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- None listed.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the above tasks. (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employees may be expected to perform.)
High school graduation, preferably with some coursework law enforcement or criminal justice and one or more years of related experience in law enforcement or civil process. Prefer experience in a law enforcement agency, court or in a closely related setting.
Other Requirements: Possession of valid Michigan Driver’s License.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.
Physical Requirements: [This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements]:
- Ability to operate vehicles to serve papers.
- Walks over uneven terrain to serve papers.
- Ability to withstand long periods of standing and walking.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel in order to operate metal detector and perform court room security screenings.
- Ability to enter and retrieve information from a computer.
Working Conditions: Works outside in varying weather conditions when serving civil process papers. Works in office and court room conditions.
Job Posting Information:
This is a part-time non-union position with varying hours and is not eligible for fringe benefits.
Pay Rate: $13.27 per hour.
For purposes of FLSA, this is a non-exempt position.