Fiscal Health Score
Michigan Department of Treasury
Fiscal Indicator Scores
From the MI Department of Treasurery Website: The fiscal indicator scores are intended to provide state officials, local officials, and the general public with objective, measurable, and straightforward information concerning the degree of, or absence of, fiscal health in units of local government.
Fiscal Scoring Process
Key factors from nine categories are analyzed and assigned points. They include, but are not limited to:
1. Population growth
2. Real taxable value growth
3. Large real taxable value decrease
4. General fund expenditures as a percent of taxable valuation
5. General fund operating deficits
6. Prior general fund operating deficits
7. Size of general fund balance
8. Fund deficits in current or previous years
9. General long-term debt as a percent of taxable value
Fiscal Heatlh Score Significance
Points from Scale Category State Action
0 - 4 Fiscally Neutral No State Action Needed
5 - 7 Fiscal Watch Unit of local government is notified of its relatively high
score and is placed on a watch list for the current
and following year.
8 - 10 Fiscal Stress Unit of local government is notified of its high score,
is placed on a watch list for the current year and
following year, and receives consideration for review.