Otsego County Board of Commissioners
- Approving a mission statement for the County.
- Adopting the annual County budget, which for 2015 is a total of $30.5 million. This includes approving the annual budgets of other, independently elected, County officials: the County Clerk, the Drain Commissioner, Judges of the 46th Circuit Trial Court, the Prosecutor, the Sheriff and the Treasurer, and all other departmental and agency budgets.
- Raising the money to fund the County’s operations by levying property taxes, setting fees, selling bonds or borrowing.
- Appointing citizen members to County boards, commissions and committees, which provide oversight for significant County services. These include the Parks and Recreation Board, Planning Commission, Housing Committee, Jury Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Library Board, Board of Public Works, Commission on Aging, and the Building Authority, among others.
- Selecting a County Administrator to implement Board policies and supervise the day-to-day operations of County departments.
- Determining the sites of County buildings, and purchasing or disposing of County-owned property and facilities.
- Representing the County, and managing its property and business by adopting rules, regulations, ordinances and policies.
Regular, public meetings of the Board of Commissioners are scheduled at 9:30 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at the Otsego County Building downtown, 225 W. Main Street, Room 100, Gaylord, Michigan. The Board welcomes residents to express their ideas or concerns about issues affecting Otsego County Government. This may be accomplished by contacting the Office of the County Administrator to request permission to offer a special presentation to the Board of Commissioners by submitting a Request for Special Presentation. Informal comments are also welcome near the end of the meeting agenda called “Agenda Items.” Speakers are requested to state their name and address, with individual comments being limited to three minutes or less, according to Board Rules. Copies of Board agendas are available electronically on this web-site or by calling the Office of the County Administrator at (989) 731-7520. Minutes of past meetings are also available electronically or by calling the County Clerk’s office at (989) 731-7500. For a complete list of upcoming meetings, see the Otsego County Event Calendar. 2016 Board of Commissioners Meeting schedule